Museums and Heritage
Scarborough Museum is set along the walking trails of beautiful Thomson Memorial Park, once the farm fields of Scarborough’s first settlers and now a popular heritage community. The museum shows the history and development of Scarborough from its founding and early settlement to its growth and emergence as a major suburb in the 20th century. The site and its gardens are situated on property first granted to David and Mary Thomson, who settled in Scarborough in the late 1790s.
Scarborough Museum consists of four buildings that were moved to the site between 1962 to 1974. These include: Cornell House, a clapboard, Scarborough vernacular-style farmhouse; the McCowan Log House, restored to its 1850s appearance; Kennedy Gallery, a small former farm outbuilding; and the Hough Carriage Works, which houses a collection of artisans tools donated by the Hough family who operated the original shop at Hough’s Corners.
Scarborough Museum offers visitors an opportunity to connect to the past through youth programming, camps, school trips, exhibits and special events.
Sri Varasiththi Vinayagar Hindu Temple
Operated by Srilankan Tamils this provides an opportunity for all Hindus, especially Tamilians, to visit a well maintained religious place.
The R. C. Harris Water Treatment Plant
The R. C. Harris Water Treatment Plant in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, is both a crucial piece of infrastructure and an architecturally acclaimed historic building named after the longtime commissioner of Toronto’s public works R.C. Harris. It is located in the east of the city at the eastern end of Queen Street and at the foot of Victoria Park Avenue along the shore of Lake Ontario in the Beaches neighbourhood in the former city of Scarborough.
Dowswell Inn Memorial
One of the most notable of rural Scarborough’s many taverns and hotels stood here at the junction of the Markham Road and the old Danforth Road, now called Painted Post Road. Here in 1850 the municipal council of the Township of Scarborough, recently incorporated with a population of 3,821, held its first meeting on the 21st day of January in Thomas Dowswell’s Inn. Peter Secor, the Markham Road miller, presided as reeve; and around the council table sat two other men with mills on the Highland Creek, John P. Wheler and William Helliwell, and two farmers, Edward Cornell and Chris Thomson. The township council continued to meet here in the hall of the hotel at Woburn for seventy years. It remained the centre of municipal life in Scarborough until 1921, when new council chambers were acquired above a bank on the Kingston Road in the new urban area at Birch Cliff.